Sunday, September 14, 2014

Bacon Broccoli Salad

 
My Grandmommie is a fantastic cook. So is my mother. It is in our blood! So it is only natural I blog about cooking food, right?

Here is my Grandmommie featured in a cooking article in a local magazine this month, along with a handful of her recipes. So proud of her!





When I was pregnant with my youngest, she brought over this fabulous broccoli salad. Sounds boring, but this dish is FANTASTIC. I ate it all the time. It was ridiculous, I was making a dish of it every few days for a while.


It is slightly sweet, but tangy and savory. It is creamy but it has crunch.  It just crosses the T in every flavor and texture category. This is one of those dishes that I can take to any get together and people want the recipe.

So summer just ended and we were having a back to school block pool party.



Kidlets and back to school swimming block party
 

First day back to school
 
 
I decided that I would take this salad and some strawberry angelfood cake trifle. Guess which recipe they wanted? Yup. Haha! So here it is.


Bacon Broccoli Salad

Adapted from my Grandmommie Finney

Serves 8
*3 heads broccoli crowns, cut into florest (or you can do 1 lbs broccoli florets in pkg)
*1/2 cup craisins (or raisins)
*2 slices bacon, crispy and chopped (or 1/3 cup bacon bits)
*1/2 red onion, finely diced
*1/4 cup slivered almonds (or sunflower kernals)
Toss that with coleslaw dressing (8 oz) but I use the healthified and lower cal recipe below. Keeps overnight if you want to make ahead.
 
 

Coleslaw dressing

*1/2 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
*1/2 cup mayo (you can do all mayo as well)
*2 tbsp vinegar (I prefer apple cider but any will do)
*2 tbsp sweetener of choice (I used splenda this time but sugar or stevia is fine)

 




 
 

 

 

Nutritional Stats


1 serving prepared, 1/8th of recipe

  • Cals 160
  • Carbs 8
  • Fat 13   
  • Protein 5             
  • Sodium 142        
  • Sugars 4
  • 4 weight watchers plus points
 

 4

No comments:

Post a Comment