Monday, January 19, 2015

Healthy Texas Chili



Funny thing is that I used to HATE chili haha! I am not sure when I changed my mind, but I did at some point!

I must have changed my mind when my husband me made his chili version. Which is what I am going to share with you today.

This recipe was promised HERE last week as it is part of our monthly menu when we go grocery shopping for the month.

I enjoy this recipe because it is high in protein, low calorie, packed with veggies, and QUICK to make. My kids love it, and everyone can top it how they like.


Healthy Texas Chili
Serves 6



The stuff:


  • 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
  • 2 cups or 1 can diced tomatoes with juice (1 can tomato sauce works too in a pinch!)
  • 2 cups or 1 can beans, drained (I used pinto beans here but black or kidney beans are good too)
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp oregano (prefer ground)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder (or 2 fresh cloves, pressed)
  • 1/4 cup flour or masa (the previous 6 ingredients are found in most store brand chili seasonings, you can sub that but I do not care for the other fillers)
  • 2 cups water

What you do:

Brown beef and onion in large non-stick skillet. While it is cooking, add the seasonings. Once the beef is browned, move to side of pan and add flour. Brown until it is peanut butter in color then mix into beef mixture. Add in tomatoes, beans, and 1 cup of water. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add additional 0.5-1 cup of water depending on how you prefer the thickness of your chili.






Nutritional Stats:
Per 1/6 of recipe

  • Cals - 288 cals
  • Fat - 10 g
  • Carbs - 20 g
  • Protein - 27 g

No comments:

Post a Comment